When purchasing items in the UK it sometimes feels as though everything is made in China but this is not really a true reflection of products available in the UK. The growth in products that companies are currently importing from China are based on the fact that China is able to produce and assemble a wide and varied amount of products.
As they can manufacture larger volumes at cheaper rates and faster than competing nations it’s no surprise that importing from China is an advantage for customers here in the UK.
As a guide we can give you the following information if you are considering importing from China:
Duties and taxes when importing from China:
Most goods that you will be importing from China are subject to customs duty and applicable VAT. Some companies importing from China may also be subject to anti dumping measures so may require a higher rate of duty. Please refer to https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff where you should find all the relevant information on these charges.
Paperwork requirements when importing from China:
- It is very important to get the paperwork correct when importing form China as it could result in your goods being held up in customs and delaying the delivery to the end user.
- A commercial invoice is essential and the information on this should include:
- Full address for the seller including all up to date contact details.
- Name, address and contact details for the receiver of the goods (Consignee)
- EORI or VAT registration numbers
- The date of issue alongside the place
- Any relevant invoice number
- Country of origin
- The agreed shipping terms (Please see our website for an up to date version of all the current Incoterms)
- Number of items including type of packaging and any marks or numbers
- Description of the cargo with all applicable tariff / commodity codes
- Weights must be both gross and net
- Unit amounts and the commercial value
- Packing lists
This is just a guide to what you will need when importing from China but please feel free to contact us at Eclipse Worldwide if you need any further help or have any further questions as we are more than happy to help.